It is not hard to make suet cakes for woodpeckers at home. These birds prefer nuts, large seeds, and corn in suet, but they will also readily feed on the lard. Here is a bird feeder suet recipe for attracting woodpeckers.
Woodpecker Bird Feeder Suet Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup lard (preferably ground beef fat, although ham drippings or bacon grease will suffice)
- 1/4 cup large sunflower seeds, in shell
- 1/4 cup peanuts, out of shell
- 1 heaping tablespoon cracked corn
How to Make Suet Cakes for Woodpeckers
- Use something like an empty suet container as a mold in which everything will be poured and dried, or find a tupperware container that has a squarish shape and 4 1/2 to 5 inch sides.
- Obtain 1 cup of wet lard. Cook some ground beef and save the grease, fry some bacon and save the grease, or cook a ham and collect the drippings. Combinations of these animal fats are fine. To make the lard wet (and not solid, if it has been cool for some time), simply heat it in a frying pan over low heat. Keep the wet lard in the frying pan.
- Let the lard begin to congeal some after it has become wet. After the lard has begun to thicken, and it becomes cooler and more solid, stir in all of the remaining ingredients. Also do this step in the frying pan.
- Scoop the lard, mixed with the seeds, corn, and nuts into the mold so that it fills the mold and is about an inch thick. The lard should still be somewhat warm and not too runny, but also somewhat viscous at this point. Try to pat it flat on top in the mold if it is clumpy, and if it is still pretty wet, it should even itself out. Avoid pouring hot lard into the plastic mold, as that could damage the plastic.
- After the suet mix occupies a square-like shape in the mold, place it in the freezer for at least a few hours. Then, when the woodpecker suet cake is ready (it can remain in the freezer as long as you want before using it), remove it and twist mold or loosen edges with a knife, and turn it upside down to shake the homemade woodpecker suet cake from the mold.
- This bird feeder suet recipe for woodpeckers may have to include the use of a little olive oil, butter, or shortening, spread around the empty mold before the partially viscous wet lard is poured in if the lard turns out to be sticky. This will help in removing the suet cake from the mold.
This bird feeder suet recipe for woodpeckers will not be fed upon by only woodpeckers. Other birds will also come to feed on it, but it includes only the foods that woodpeckers prefer to eat at feeders.