The .223 caliber rifle is one of the weapons of choice when going varmint hunting. This weapon offers a lot of power and is fairly accurate, however, the secret to having a lot of accurate kills with the .223 is by using the best varmint scope for 223.
Scopes are of immense benefit to rifles and the .223 is no exception, to ensure a successful varmint hunting expedition, you should use a good scope alongside your .223. However, finding the right scope is quite difficult due to the massive number of scopes available.
Table of Contents
You would find yourself struggling to find the right scope if you don’t know the right features to consider.
Here, a comprehensive review of the best scopes for varmint hunting is done so your job of finding scope is simplified. You will see the best scopes available for varmint hunting.
Here are our top three reliable and durable best varmint scope for 223.
You probably may not have the time to peruse through this whole review, check out a list of our top three picks for the best scope for varmint hunting. These scopes are top-notch and would be an excellent choice for varmint hunting. They possess the necessary features which would highly complement the .223 rifle.
5 Best Varmint Scopes for 223
(Ranked And Reviewed)
1. Bushnell Optics, Drop Zone Reticle Riflescope
- Dimensions: 13.5 x 3.9 x 3.1 inches
- Weight: 1.06 Pounds
- Material: Aluminum
The Bushnell Optics Drop Zone Reticle Riflescope essentially fits the needs of a scope required for varmint hunting. It is quite efficient for long-range shooting and will deliver to you a bright and clear view of your target. It is equipped with a multi-coated lens which offers clarity and brightness while shooting. Even if you find yourself in terrible or low lighting conditions, you can trust this scope to come through for you.
Its drop zone reticle also offers you additional advantage when it comes to firing accurate targets. It guides you and allows you to aim correctly at your target. Its turrets also offer easy adjustments, you can make adjustments without encountering any difficulty. Its fast focus eyepiece also allows for quick and easy target acquisition. It offers you a better chance at getting accurate and precise shots.
This scope is made of high-durability aluminum alloy and anodize-finished, this ensures its durability. This scope can surely stand the test of rigorous use and time. It is nitrogen-filled thus making it fog-proof, it is equally waterproof, rust-proof, scratch-proof, and shockproof.
Its durability is also not in question, this scope is resistant to elements that can damage the scope. You need not worry about it getting damaged due to being exposed to harsh conditions, it was designed to undergo extreme conditions while also maintaining optimal performance.
- Dimensions: 18 x 5 x 5 inches
- Weight: 0.82 Kilograms
- Material: Aluminum
Bushnell is known for manufacturing sophisticated scopes which offer great value for its price, the Bushnell 3-9×40 Riflescope is no exception. This scope is most efficient for mid-range shooting, however, it is also pretty effective for long-range shooting. Its fast magnification adjustments are however most suited for mid-range shooting.
Fitted with the side focus parallax and exposed turrets, this scope can undertake both close and long-range shooting. Its turrets are also both easily adjustable, you can change the windage and elevation turrets quickly and easily without losing view of your target. This scope is as effective for close-range shooting as well as long-range shooting, it offers accuracy and precision in both circumstances. This scope is an efficient scope whose qualities cannot be undermined.
This scope also has a multi-coated lens which allows you to see your targets. This multi-coated lens also allows you to see better in the dark or where the lighting condition is low, it offers you a clear and bright view of your target. It also has a Bullet Drop Compensated (BDC) Reticle, this offers you a better chance at accuracy. It takes into consideration the drop of a bullet and allows you to accurately estimate how to hit your target without missing it.
As with other Bushnell products, the durability of this product is guaranteed. It is manufactured with high-grade aluminum and is designed to function effectively well even under harsh conditions. It is also waterproof and fog proof so you need not worry about losing your target even in the rain or the fog. It is constructed for rugged use.
3. Vortex Optics Crossfire II Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescopes
- The 4-12×44 Crossfire II riflescope is one of many configurations in the Crossfire II line. The Dead-Hold BDC reticle is good for hunting/shooting at varying ranges where estimating holdover is a concern.
- With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you’ll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
- Dimensions: 14 x 3 x 3 inches
- Weight: 1.4 Pounds
- Material: Aluminum
A Vortex scope is a top-notch scope, the Optics Crossfire II Riflescope is no exception, it offers great and quality features. It has an incredible zoom range which is efficient for long-range shooting. Its zoom range of between 4 to 12x is also good for medium-range shooting.
It also includes several features which will offer you clarity and a bright vision while aiming at your target. This scope contains essential features which help a hunter hit accurate and precise shots.
Its reticle design is also equally incredible, it has a second focal plane Reticle. It maintains the size of your target even when you zoom in, this helps keep your target in full view. Its reticle is also a dead hold BDC, it is quite handy when it comes to estimating holdover. It helps you make accurate decisions when it comes to long-range shooting, guess works are out of the picture when it comes to this scope.
It has an eye relief of 3.9 inches thus ensuring you do not suffer eye strain while trying to aim at your target. This helps improve your accuracy and precision. Another worthy quality of this scope is its lens, it is multi-coated and anti-reflective thus allowing for effective light transmission. No matter the environment or condition you are in, this scope offers a bright and clear view of your target.
Its fast focus eyepiece gives you the advantage of quick target acquisition, it allows you to scout and locate your targets easily. Its field of view is also pretty impressive, it offers a wide range of views. Its illuminated center dot gives you an accurate aiming point even in the dark, you are assured of hitting the bulls-eye even when the light and other conditions don’t favor you.
This scope is built with aircraft-grade aluminum, this makes it durable and immune to damage. It is equally shockproof and nitrogen filled thus making it fog proof, waterproof, and dust resistant. Overall, this scope is sturdy, strong, and rugged. You are sure to enjoy this scope for a long time as it is built to withstand heavy use.
4. Nikon P-Tactical .223 3-9×40 Matte BDC600 Scope
- Dimensions: 13.5 x 3.7 x 3.3 inches
- Weight: 1 Ounce
- Material: Aluminum
The Nikon P-Tactical Scope is very good for varmint hunting, it has a lot of features that are quite beneficial for varmint hunting. This scope is built with aircraft-grade aluminum, this makes it durable and ensures its strength. It is resistant to elements that may damage it.
Its optics are fully multi-coated and are quite efficient for light transmission. You are guaranteed a bright and clear view of your target even when you are in low lighting conditions. Its lenses are extremely useful particularly when hunting in the night or at dusk. Its fast focus eyepiece will also help you to quickly acquire your target with ease.
This scope has an MK1-MRAD reticle with 3x zoom ratio, it is quite efficient for long-range shooting. Its reticle is also Bullet Drop Compensated (BDC) optimized thus allowing for accuracy and precision on shots. It helps eliminate any guesswork and ensures that you hit the target without any fear of missing.
It also has spring-loaded instant zero-reset turrets which provide for quick and easy adjustments of its turrets. Target focus and magnification are made easy because of this, you are afforded the speed necessary to take out your targets. This scope is a top-notch scope whose features make it effective for varmint hunting.
5. Monstrum Alpha Series 1-4×24 First Focal Plane (FFP) Reticle Rifle Scope
- High performance tactical rifle scope with 1-4x magnification for close to mid distance shooting out to 300+ yards
- Functionally designed first focal plane MOA reticle, with easy-to-read ranging information that remains constant regardless of magnification, for faster range estimation and holdover correction
- Dimensions: 11.26 x 3.7 x 3.07 inches
- Weight: 1 Pounds
- Material: Aluminum
An efficient riflescope, the Monstrum Alpha Rifle Scope offers impressive imagery while shooting. This scope contains a duly multi-coated lens which offers you a crystal clear view of your target. Its lens is anti-glare and also helps with better transmission. Even if you are shooting in bad lighting conditions, this scope offers you an impressively clear view of your target.
Its First Focal Plane Reticle offers you a great chance at hitting the target without fuss. It offers impressive magnification for close and mid-range shooting. It also allows for quicker range estimation and holdover correction. It has an eye relief of 4 inches thus offering your eyes protection and preventing eye strain.
This scope is designed with quality materials which makes it very strong and able to withstand extreme conditions. It is made of aircraft-grade aluminum and has been sealed thus making it waterproof, fog proof, and shockproof. Its lenses are also durable and scratch-resistant. It has lens caps that protect it from damage.
Essential Features to Look Out for Before Buying Varmint Scope for 223
Before buying just any scope for your .223 rifle for varmint hunting, you have to consider some features. A scope should be beneficial to you while varmint hunting, this is why you should not just buy any scope as it may be useless on your hunting expedition.
- Light Transmission: This is a very important feature to consider before you buy a scope, a scope should be able to produce a bright and crystal clear view of your target even in the dark. Bad lighting conditions are not a new thing to hunters, thus, you have to be prepared for every possibility.
You are not assured of seeing your prey during the day, so you have to be prepared for every possibility. There are several scopes with efficient light transmission, ensure you choose the one with a very good light transmission so that you are not caught unawares while hunting. A scope with efficient light transmission will allow you to hit accurate and precise shots even in the dark.
- Magnification: There are several scopes with various magnification ranges, you must decide the range at which you want to shoot before buying a scope. Whether it is close, mid-range it is long-range shooting. If you decide on long-range shooting, you should get a scope with a magnification range of at least 9x, for close-range shooting, 4x will do the job. Ensure you get a scope with adjustable parallax if you for long-range shooting, this is because the view can get fuzzy sometimes due to parallax.
- Durability: This is non-negotiable, it is one of the first features to consider before getting a scope. At least, a scope should serve its purpose for a very long time before getting damaged else it is practically useless. Scopes made out of aircraft-grade aluminum are quite strong and sturdy. Also look out for scopes that are waterproof, fog proof, shockproof, and resistant to harsh weather conditions.
- Eye Relief: This is a crucial feature to look out for in any scope, you don’t want to go shooting and sustain an eye injury in the process. Eye relief helps protect your eye from gun recoil. At least, a scope should have 3 to 4 inches of eye relief. The eye relief also allows you to stay focused and prevents eye strain.
- Reticle: Also known as crosshairs, reticles help in ensuring the accuracy and precision of a hunter. A reticle allows you to pick a precise spot where you want to hit your target. There are several types of reticles, each with its advantages. Some of them include duplex, dot, bullet drop compensated, and illuminated reticles. They are all effective and efficient, you need to choose the one you are most comfortable with before buying a scope.
Why you should use a Scope with your .223
A scope offers numerous advantages to any gun, you would do well to use the best varmint scope for 223 with your 223 caliber gun.
- Accuracy and Precision: Scopes are of immense benefit to a hunter in the sense that with a scope, a hunter is guaranteed an accurate and precise shot. A scope has several features which allow a hunter to carefully aim at his target and also give him ample time to be able to hit the target accurately. For instance, the reticle of the scope allows a hunter to hit a precise spot on his target.
- It is good for long-range Shooting: Scopes are also efficient for long-range shooting, it helps bring the target closer to the hunter thus allowing him to take out the target even from a long-range. This is particularly useful when hunting a dangerous animal you don’t want to go close to. You can shoot it at a long distance without endangering yourself.
- It helps in Night Hunting: Many scopes have incredible optics which offer a bright and clear view of your target, even when you find yourself in low lighting conditions or when you are hunting at night, the scope can bail you out. It will prove a crisp and clear view of your target allowing you to hit the target even when the conditions are not in your favor.
For a range of 300 yards, a magnification of at least 4x should be sufficient.
The Leupold vx2 4-12 is a very good scope for a 222 caliber rifle.
There are several good scopes for varmint hunting, what you prefer may also determine your choice. However, the Vortex Crossfire II is a very good scope for varmint hunting and can be considered the best.
Getting rid of varmints can prove to be quite the task, the .223 has proved to be an efficient weapon in this regard. However, combining the .223 with the best varmint scope for 223 will bring about the best results and not only help you bag accurate kills, but will also help you improve your hunting and shooting skills.
The hard and tedious task of finding a good scope has been done for you, you just need to pick your choice among the best scopes and go on your merry way hunting.