Hearing birds chirping and singing can somewhat brighten up our day and mood. And one of the most attracting birds we would love to see and hear are hummingbirds. These birds are usually can be seen in the United States. Hummingbirds are mesmerizing and brightly-colored birds. These bird species can be seen fluttering during summertime. Hummingbirds are migratory birds and they play a very special role especially in pollination.
These birds transport resources between the tropical and temperate ecosystems. Averagely humming birds feeds 5 to 8 times per hour, which is approximately half of their weight in sugar every day. Why? Because hummingbirds have high metabolism.
These birds feed on nectar, spiders, small insects, tree sap, and juices from broken fruit. That’s why you can always spot them feeding on your nectar at dawn. But what time do they really feed? Well, according to many people, hummingbirds usually feed on the dusk and late in the afternoon. Though hummingbirds can be seen feeding at various times. So, don’t be surprised if you spot hummingbirds feeding on your nectar early in the morning and even before sunset.
These tiny brightly-colored birds are usually most active in the months of March up September. This is because they are attracted to warmer climates. And they usually migrate during the months of February and early March. Hummingbirds embark on two migrations, which can span over thousands or hundreds of miles.
If you badly want to spot hummingbirds, it is best to check them out at dawn and dusk. Why? Because these are their favorite time of the day to feed. Just like what we have stated above, hummingbirds usually feed heavily in the morning as well as in the evening hours.
Table of Contents
Why is it important to know the time of the day when hummingbird need to eat?
Now, if you are wondering whether hummingbirds are nocturnal or not, then the answer is no. Just like other birds, hummingbirds are also active during the day and sleep during the night. In fact, they begin to settle in before dark.
This is because they use up so much energy during the day so they must rest during the night and sleep. When these birds sleep, they go into hibernation-like mode which we call, Torpor. Torpor is a process of deep sleep, then their metabolism will fall down to one-fifteenth of their normal.
Aside from that, the hummingbirds’ body temperature will drop until it reaches the point of becoming hypothermic. Their heart rate will also fall down to about 50 beats per minute. Because of this, their breathing will also slow down and you might think they have stopped breathing.
Hummingbirds do this so that they can save up to 60% of their available energy. So, when they wake up they will feel lively and refreshed. When they wake up, they will flap their wings again at a very high rate where it creates a humming noise. And this is the reason why they are named after it.
What makes humming birds so special?
Hummingbirds are native species of the New World. In fact, they can never be found outside of the Western Hemisphere except in a few aviaries or zoos. These little birds are also cannot be found in places such as Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, or Antarctica. So, if you want to attract and see hummingbirds, better get a bird feeder that fits best your yard.
After all, there are different types and models of hummingbird feeders. And choosing what to buy and what’s not, can be very confusing. But don’t worry we have provided below the two best hummingbird feeders available in the market. This is to help you pick the right one that suits your yard and your budget. So, if you do not know what type and model to get, just check out these hummingbird feeders below.
2 Types of Bird Hummingbird Feeder from Amazon.com
1) Aspects HummZinger HighView 12 oz
- The feeder includes a high view perch that invites hummingbirds to rest comfortably as they drink from any of four feeding ports while also offering an unobstructed view of the birds.
- Bright red cover attracts humming birds from a distance and is easily removed so the bowl can be cleaned quickly and thoroughly.
This hanging hummingbird feeder is surely the best of the best. Why because this hummingbird feeder is made by Aspects, a trusted brand which has a solid reputation when it comes to bird feeders as well as accessory items. This kind of feeder has a HighView perch that lets the hummingbirds to rest comfortably while they are having a feast and drinking.
Aside from that, HummZinger also has four feeding ports where you can freely watch and see the unobstructed view of the birds.In addition, this hummingbird feeder has a bright red cover which can attract hummingbirds from a distance. It also has a removable bowl which you can easily remove when cleaning and refilling. But what’s more important is that unlike other hummingbird feeders, HummZinger is made using unbreakable polycarbonate.
So, you can guarantee that will never experience any drip or leakage issues like other feeders. Therefore, we assure you that hummingbirds will love it.
- Sturdy – Unlike other dish feeders, HummZinger is made of durable materials. Therefore you can expect that it will last long because it is made using polycarbonate materials.
- Highly functional – Because it is made of durable materials, you can guarantee that you can use it as long as you want to. This means that you do not have to buy a hummingbird feeder every now and then.
- Hang/post mount feature – Its hanging feature lets you see and watch the birds in any angle or view. So, if you want to catch a glimpse of them every morning or before sunset, you can always enjoy and do it.
- Raised flower ports – Unlike other hummingbird feeders in the market, Aspects HummZinger HighView 12 oz Hanging bird feeder has a raised flower ports. These raised flower ports feature is effective in diverting rain.
- Built-in ant guard – Another positive feature of HummZinger is its built-in ant guard which keeps the hummingbirds away from ants.
- Frequent Refilling – Due to its small capacity which is 12 oz, expect that you have to refill the feeder frequently. Remember that hummingbirds love to eat.
- Little Bit Pricey – The downside of HummZinger is its price may seem a bit on the higher side as this product costs $24.93 on Amazon. So, if you are on a tight budget, HummZinger is not the right one for you. But when it comes to quality and performance, we can guarantee that everything that you will pay for this hummingbird feeder will be truly worth it. With this bird feeder model, you can guarantee that you will get what you will pay for.
2) First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder
- The bright red color attracts the most inquisitive hummingbirds
- With easy-to-fill wide-mouth jar Reservoirs and two-parts bases, First Nature hummingbird feeders are the easiest feeder on the market to clean
This hummingbird feeder is Amazon’s Choice. Why? Because it is known for its large capacity. And aside from that, this dish feeder is also very affordable. That is why this model is hard to beat! So, if you are looking for a large-capacity hummer feeders, then choose First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder.
This feeder features a whopping 32-0z capacity wide-mouthed reservoir. This is perfect for yards that visited by flocks of hummingbirds at dawn and dusk. This feeder offers ten yellow feeding ports which has a red base. In addition, you can also remove its feeding ports to create an extra feeding room for the birds.
Aside from that, First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder has a bright red color that attracts the most inquisitive hummingbirds. It’s easy-to-fill wide-mouth jar reservoirs and two-parts bases make this as the easiest feeder in the market to clean.
- Special sealing ring – Unlike other hummingbird feeders, First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder has a special sealing ring that prevents leaking. So, you do not have to worry about leaks.
- Two-part base – Cleaning will never be a problem with First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder because it has a two-part base that can be twisted easily which is favorable and good for cleaning. This means you can easily and thoroughly clean it whenever you wanted.
- Highly Functional and Worthy – If you are worried about functionality, then take it easy because this hummingbird feeder will truly match your expectations. Expect that it will do its job properly.
- Affordable – There are tons of hummingbird feeders available in the market, There are different models and colors. Hummingbird feeders also vary from prices. But what makes this dish feeder popular among buyers is its price. Because unlike other hummingbird feeders, First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder is cheap and affordable.
- So, if you are on a tight budget, this is the perfect bird feeder for you. This hummingbird feeder costs $11.51 on Amazon.
- Not Durable – The downside of First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder is its quality. Why? Because it is made of materials which are not able to withstand extremely hot weather. So, expect that it will not last long or perform too well during hot weather conditions.
After all, we cannot expect so much from it because it is cheap and affordable but still it does what it does. And that is what’s most important right? So, come and grab one now and attract lots of hummingbirds on your backyard.
So, if you want to attract hungry hummers on your yard, especially on summertime better grab a Hummer feeder. If you want a high quality hummingbird feeder, you can go for the Aspects HummZinger HighView 12 oz as long as you have the budget. But if you want cheaper ones, you can go and buy the budget-friendly First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder. Both works well and do their job.
Just grab whatever you want and whatever suits your budget and your yard. Go and feed these tiny but beautiful hummingbirds with sweet nectars. If you feed them, they will surely come. Make your yard bird-friendly and buy your hummingbird feeder now!
So, if you are planning to feed hummingbirds for whatever reason, better grab the best hummingbird feeder for your backyard. Find out what bird feeders suits your yard the most because different feeders are made up of different materials such as plastic, glass, and/or ceramics.
If you want a well-designed and easy to clean feeder, choose HummZinger. With this kind of hummingbird Feeder, you do not have to worry about maintaining it clean. But if you want a cheaper one, you can pick First Nature 3090 32-oz Hummingbird Flower Feeder over HummZinger as this one is a lot more cheaper. Moreover, it is still up to you to decide whether what model or brand you want to buy as long as it will transform your yard into a hummingbird garden and paradise.